Saturday, February 25, 2012

Birding 10, Ringing 5.

My likely birding score proved more substantial than the ringing total this morning, but maybe it is best to start at the beginning with the Little Owls.

I hadn’t seen the owl/owls for some weeks on the farm, where they share their nesting spot with a horse-filled barn busy with riders back and forth during the day. I feared for the worse that the continual disturbance might scare the owls away from this traditional site, but I needn’t have worried. Birds are persistent creatures and in any case the owls nest out of reach in the roof space, and the horsey folk probably don’t even know that in the dark crevices above their heads live the owls who venture out only when all is quiet. As I drove onto the farm at 0730 the Little Owls sat in the half-light almost together, but as the car stopped they both lifted off and flew back into the roof space. A positive sighting then because the pair are still about and should nest again this year, fingers crossed.

Little Owl

Further down the farm Seumus and Craig were setting up, trying their luck with Tree Sparrows, so wishing them well I sped past towards the summer plantation to fill the Niger feeders and put up a net or two while doing a spot of birding. The Goldfinch still haven’t arrived in any numbers and although I caught two, there were no more than 8 or 10 around. A threatening breeze quickly sprung up, putting paid to any extended ringing and I packed up with just 5 birds caught, 2 Goldfinch and 1 each of Chaffinch, Great Tit and Blackbird.

Birding gave me distant sightings yet again of the wintering Hen Harrier and a single Buzzard, with 2 Kestrels much closer and then 2 overflying Ravens heading towards St Michael’s village.

Hen Harrier

Buzzard

Other sightings this morning, 90+ Lapwings, including the first signs of display, 2 Grey Partridge, 45 Linnet, 7 Yellowhammer, 40 Chaffinch, 2 Great-spotted Woodpecker, 4 Curlew and 3 Skylark.

I saw 5 Roe Deer this morning, with Brown Hares were pretty active too, and generally more noticeable than of late running about the fields where some indulged in a little shadow boxing.

Brown Hare

Coming off the farm I noted a pair of Stock Doves at a holey tree and 21 handsome Fieldfares living up to their name, and while keeping a watchful eye on my distant camera, they probed for food in the muddy soil.

Fieldfare

Fieldfare

11 comments:

eileeninmd said...

OH WOW, how cool to capture two of your Little Owls together. A sweet couple! I am glad you started with the owls, they are my favorite. Great collection of birds and photos. Love the hare too. Phil, Happy Birding and have a great weekend.

Snap said...

I LOVE owls. Wonderful. Nice collection of critters. Happy Critter Day!

cindyzlogic said...

Congratulations on all your sightings! The little Saw whet Owls are so cute! Wish I could see one!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful photos, especially I like the photo with rabbit.

Regards and best wishes

Unknown said...

Great series and the Hare is wonderful!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Happy, happy seeing those 2 Little Owls as I scrolled down my blog page just now. Those Fieldfares, such lovely marked birds, I really like them! The first photograph of the Hen Harrier, is really nice, it almost looks like it could pass as a watercolour Phil, nice one! Have a beautiful Sunday, hope the weather and birding will be good to you~

Cheryl said...

Love all your shots but I really felt drawn to the Fieldfare. I don't think we've anything comparable in my area.

Dave said...

Bunnies=Buzzard food...
Love those little owls!

Millhouse Photography said...

Good news about the Little Owls Phil. It's amazing what some birds will put up with isn't it!

Stuart Price said...

I used to love watching the hares in early spring on the Ribble marshes.............I've seen the grant total of one wild rabbit/hare in 12 years in Japan.

Unknown said...

Hi there. Great picture of the two small owls in the tree. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and this past Friday, my wife and I came upon an adult Saw-Whet Owl out in the bush. This was the first time as birders that we had ever seen a Saw-Whet Owl. Fortunately, we had our camera with us and got some good pictures and video. We have posted them for anyone interested at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-northern-saw-whet-owl-sighting

Related Posts with Thumbnails