Thursday, September 4, 2014

Moving Wheatears?

There may have been a number of Wheatears on the move this morning. Four of them were fence hopping and playing “chicken” with the passing traffic along Backsands Lane and later I would catch one with a good layer of fat in preparation for migration. 
 
Wheatear

Wheatear

At Fluke Hall were 3 Jays moving through the tops of the trees, their noisy squawking a sure indication of autumn. Overhead 2 Buzzards harassed by a single crow were climbing on the morning thermals and drifting slowly inland. Later on I heard Buzzard calls again so maybe the two were migrants. Not so the two Mistle Thrushes, a species I haven’t seen or heard here for a few months but they were in their regular trees once again. 

There is still so much greenery it’s hit or miss to find skulking warblers unless they call with three obliging in the shapes of Blackcap, Whitethroat and Chiffchaff. There was a single Wheatear below the sea wall where many people walk so no chance of setting a trap. 

A roadside Kestrel obliged but briefly before it shot off and calling to another one that I couldn’t see. 

Kestrel

I walked to the wildfowler’s pools and found 2 Green Sandpiper, 18 Pintail and 40+ Teal. The Teal and Pintail were arriving in small groups from the outer marsh where at some distance I could see 2 Grey Heron and 11 Little Egrets. Finches are very scarce along the sea wall this year, a traditional spot for both Linnets and Goldfinches on the thistles and fireweed which grow in profusion. Best I could manage today, just 18 Linnets and 8 Goldfinches. A “few” Meadow Pipits and Swallows but no obvious signs of migration from those two species. 

Linnet

There was a single Wheatear, a hungry individual which took less than a minute to find the mealworm and become the object of my attention. Although not especially large or heavy at 97mm wing and 27.9 respectively it was carrying a good amount of fat. It’s an adult male. 

Wheatear

Wheatear

More birds, more pictures soon from Another Bird Blog. 

Linking today to Theresa's Run A Round Ranch.

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the wheatears are just so beautiful! such lovely coloration! thanks, phil!

21 Wits said...

Tweetest beauties!

Ida said...

Wheatears are lovely little birds. My favorite shot was the one on the barbed wire. Also a neat shot of the Kestrel.

Rose said...

Wonderful captures! I had never heard of the wheatear...its a beautiful little bird. I love kestrals..never get a chance for a good pic though.

Breathtaking said...

All beautiful birds and beautifully photographed. I love the way the wheatears stand in that errect manner they have.
Regards.

Noushka said...

GEE!!
Where did my comment disappear??
Blogger comments are acting funny these days, I am not the only to complain!! :(
The adult Wheatear is very beautiful and the portrait is excellent!
Cute little Linnet all fluffed up, I manage a couple of shots recently.
It would be an immature I guess rather than a female?
The kestrel also is a great catch.
Enjoy your WE, Phil!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I'm interested to know that you saw Mistle Thrush, Phil. I saw them in Spain recently but had not seen them in many years. It's a very attractive bird and quite a songster as I remember.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have an interesting variety over the pond!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

sandyland said...

new ones for me that's why I love your material

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

Great wheatear images! I would love to see one again here is south Florida (Northern Wheatear).

Adam Jones said...

Wonderful Wheatear pictures. Also like the Linnet which I think is a very underrated bird.

Related Posts with Thumbnails