Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Back To The Hills

It’s a while since Andy and I met up at Oakenclough. I guess we have been busy with the Linnet project down Pilling way which is now on hold until the local outbreak of the avian flu gets jetted out of town by the experts from DEFRA. 

About 12kms from the coast, outside the exclusion zone of the bird flu and on the edge of the Bowland birding during December and January can be quiet so we made no visits for weeks. Only recently did we start to feed here with Niger seed because as soon as the calendar heads into the shortest month we reckon to catch a few finches. These will include birds from the south and south east already making their way north even though it's just February. 

So we met up at 0715 for a spot of overdue ringing with an uneventful session yielding just 11 birds of 4 species for the IPMR database: 6 Goldfinch, 2 Siskin, 2 Chaffinch and a single recapture of a Coal Tit from 2016.

Outdoor Office

Goldfinch

Siskin - first winter female

Siskin - adult male

Today's Input

Other birds seen this morning - 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Buzzard, 1 Pied Wagtail, 15 Oystercatcher, 15 Greylag, 18 Chaffinch, 1 Siskin. 

Meanwhile and back at home, the painting is done and I persuaded Sue to invest in a birdy rug to keep my feet warm in the office. How’s that for dedication to the cause of birding?

Indoor Office

Log in soon. There are always more birds on Another Bird Blog.



7 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Phil: you look very organized both at home and outside...........

Linda said...

I love your office, Phil, it is very organized. And the birds are all beautiful!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your field office looks sumptuous indeed and your home office even more so AND FAR TOO ORGANIZED AND TIDY. As soon as Miriam saw that she wanted to know why my hovel couldn't look like that. Thanks, Phil!

Wally Jones said...

Although your ringing session was "uneventful", it seems you nevertheless had a very nice day of birding. It certainly is preferable to working for a living!

And I echo David's comments as, Gini also strongly suggested my office space is several seasons overdue for a good Spring Cleaning.

I thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your recent posts and look forward to an "all clear" soon for the avian flu situation. In the meantime, I'm off to search for my own "birdy rug" as I am quite jealous of your very luxurious foot warmer.

Lots of birding here, just very lazy about reporting it in blog-land!

Cheers!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, pretty shots of the Goldfinch and Siskins. Your office looks nice. Enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

Impressive photography, I never saw these birds.
Clipping Path

Lowcarb team member said...

Well your outside office looks organised, and your inside office looks organised too ... brilliant.

Lovely photo's of the Goldfinch, and Siskin's.
I think my favourite is the Goldfinch

All the best Jan

Related Posts with Thumbnails