Thursday, March 8, 2012

Two Ninenty Nine

I grabbed about three hours of birding this morning when I saw no sign of spring migrants, hardly surprising in the stiff north westerly I guess, and it is only March 8th. Here we are again wishing our lives away to see a few birds which will arrive only when they are good and ready.

In the way of passerines Fluke Hall turned up 2 singing Song Thrush, 3 Reed Bunting and lots of noisy Tree Sparrows about the area of the nest boxes. The wet stubble fields proved fairly quiet with 30 Golden Plover, 25 Redshank, 40 Oystercatcher, 14 Curlew and 50+ Lapwing, some of the latter in display mode again, but no sign of first nests yet.

Lane Ends including a walk to Pilling Water and then back produced a mixed bag of species, 2 European White-fronted Geese, 36 Woodpigeon, 2 Little Grebe, 4 Tufted Duck, 2 Little Egret, 1 Greenshank, 4 Skylark, 180 Shelduck, 1 Sparrowhawk and 1 Buzzard.

Sparrowhawk

Tufted Duck

Travelling along Head Dyke Lane in the direction of Knott End I could see a hunting Barn Owl across the fields to my left but there was nowhere to stop a car safely, so I continued up to the village. The rising tide realised a good selection of birds, with 360 Oystercatcher, 24 Eider, 15 Shelduck, 1 Cormorant, 4 Bar-tailed Godwit, 14 Turnstone, 3 Curlew, 10 Sanderling, 2 Pied Wagtail and 1 Rock Pipit.

Oystercatcher

Pied Wagtail

Eider

Apologies for the quick, short post today but please look in to Another Bird Blog again soon, and for anyone not a “follower”, sign up now to become Number 300.

15 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Love your pied wagtail and your tufted duck, Phil, and am always happy to see an oystercatcher.
Reading your blog reminded me I'm supposed to look up a bird my husband captured with his camera the other day. I know I've seen it either here or on Gary and Boomer's Vermilion River blog. It might be a redpoll. Must look it up.
K

Tammy said...

Great series of photos Phil! The Sparrowhawk is beautiful.

Unknown said...

Great sparrowhawk shot!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Brian King said...

I love that Sparrowhawk shot, Phil! That is gorgeous! Well done.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful photos.

Regards and best wishes

Russell Jenkins said...

Love the sparrowhawk too! Great face with the foot up. Super pose. The Tuft Duck and the wagtail are also great. Would have liked to join you.

Paco Sales said...

Me encanta la fotografía y pose del gavilan. ha quedado precioso, tres buenas horas de trabajo Phil, no te preocupes,solo falta un seguidor para llegar a los 300. Un abrazo amigo

S K Ditta said...

Hello Phil, the Sparrowhawk's beauty immediately captured my attention. And I am not one to compare one bird against another. Thanks for sharing.
Only at the end of your post could I understand, why 299. Can old members follow twice? :)

Stuart Price said...

300!? I 've yet to reach 100................

Mary Howell Cromer said...

Wow Phil, what a marvelous image of the Sparrowhawk. You really got a great one there!!! I really like the softness of the feathers, a bit fluffed out, just a splendid capture, beautifully done~

Ayuwat Jearwattanakanok said...

Almost 300 followers and 360 oystercatchers seen, I have to say I'm a bit jealous! I went to search for oystercatchers last week and failed to see any. It's a really special bird here in Japan!

eileeninmd said...

Phil another great outing! I had to laugh at your comment that the birds will arrive when they are good and ready! I am wishing they would hurry up and arrive. Love your birds and the photos. The wagtail is one of my favorites. Happy birding and have a great day.

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

That is a fluffy hawk. Great photos!

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful shots! love that fluffed up raptor!

El rincón de Ceditas said...

Geniales!!! Que hermosas aves

Related Posts with Thumbnails