Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Nut Case

Nuthatches are fairly uncommon close to where I live but unexpectedly I have previously caught a couple when ringing everyday garden birds like Goldfinch, Dunnock and Blackbird. 

Nuthatch

On Tuesday there was a very vocal Nuthatch in the big sycamore in a neighbour’s garden, calling, whistling and generally shouting “this is my territory”. I thought no more about it until sat in the afternoon April sunshine when a bird flew from the said sycamore and landed in an ancient damson tree at the bottom of our unremarkable garden. Yes, the damson tree which hosts a beat up old nest box that is rarely occupied from one year to the next.

So to cut a long story short, I now have two Nuthatches nest building at the bottom of my garden, a very welcome first. Wednesday, and watching from the conservatory the two are still at it but in a less active manner during what is a cold and showery day.

Nuthatch - Photo: Sergey Yeliseev via Foter.com/CC BY-NC-ND 

To put this record into a local context the Nuthatch is far from common in this part of coastal Fylde, where there is a lack of suitable mature woodland, an absence which limits the species’ ability to increase its local population. Although Nuthatches are resident all year round they have a somewhat patchy breeding distribution related to their habitat requirements. 

If all goes according to a normal timetable I should BE ringing the youngsters by early to mid-May.

There's more nut case birding very soon. Be sure not to miss it.

7 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

They are a great bird to have around. I have yet to have one in my backyard but maybe one day during a cold winter snap, one will come my way. Glad you enjoyed your sighting. They are wonderful to have around. They like suet a lot!

Linda said...

Beautiful photos, Phil, and the title of your post made me smile. :)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Congratulations. It will be fun to watch the developments. When I saw the title of this piece I thought you had written your autobiography!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Phil! Cute photos of your Nuthatch! I see ours regularly, they are fun birds. Have a happy day!

S S Cheema said...

My last birding trip I came across Chestnut-bellied Nuthatch. There are 9 nuthatches in our subcontinent and I have barely ticked 3 of them. Beautiful bird and you have captured them beautifully. To observe birds in immediate neighbourhood must be a great experience, especially when over a period of time they reveal their life and breeding patterns.

Lowcarb team member said...

First - I love the picture of the Barn Swallow, doesn't it catch the eye!

Second - 'nutcase' what a title! So good that you now have these nesting in your garden, and I'm sure it's not that un-remarkable, well it certainly isn't now!

Hope you do get to ring the youngsters during May.

Enjoy your day

All the best Jan

Maude Lynn said...

Beautiful shots!

Related Posts with Thumbnails